London Borough of Croydon

If you or previous owners of your property carried out work that is subject to a building regulations application without first receiving approval, you may have the option of applying for a regularisation certificate.

You are not required to make such an application but doing so allows you to demonstrate that the work complies, to the best of the council's knowledge, with the regulations.

When the council is satisfied that the work does comply with regulations, you will be issued with a regularisation certificate.

You should be aware that, in order for compliance with the regulations to be established, it is likely that some or all of the work will need to be exposed. This means the disturbance of finishes and decorations and, in some cases, excavation.

If you choose to apply for a regularisation certificate but elect not to expose the works, we will be unable to issue you with a regularisation certificate. Also, we will be unable to refund your fee.

You are advised to contact us to discuss your particular situation prior to making your application. This will allow us to give you a clear idea of what you will need to do so that you can make an informed decision whether or not to apply.

You can only apply for a regularisation certificate if the work was started after 11 November 1985. If the work was started before this date, we cannot assist you. If this is the case, we advise you to seek the guidance and opinion of a chartered building surveyor.

Use the building regularisation form via My Account to apply online. You can also find details of the regularisation application fee below.


Help downloading files