London Borough of Croydon

Marriage or civil partnerships

If you wish to marry or form a civil partnership in England or Wales you may do so by civil or religious ceremony.

Civil ceremonies

A civil ceremony can take place in a register office or other premises approved by the local authority for marriages.

If you wish to have a civil ceremony in England or Wales you must provide notice. You should:

  • Give a notice of marriage or civil partnership in the borough that you reside in.
  • If you and your partner live in separate boroughs you must each give notice in the borough in which you reside.

However if you or your partner are subject to immigration control you both must give notice in a designed office- Croydon is a designated office.  

To give notice of marriage or civil partnership in Croydon you will need to:

Church of England or Church in Wales weddings

If you wish to be married in the Church of England speak to the vicar of the church where you wish to marry. However, if you or your partner are subject to immigration control you both must give notice in a designed office- Croydon is a designated office.  

Other religious weddings

If you wish to have a religious ceremony somewhere other than in the Church of England or Church in Wales you should:

  • book an appointment to see the person in charge of marriages at the church or the place of religious worship of your choice   
  • both give formal notice to the registrar at your local register office where you live. If one or both of you is subject to immigration control notice has to be given in a designated register office. Croydon is a designated office.

Getting married abroad

If you wish to marry abroad, special requirements apply for the giving of marriage notice. These requirements vary depending on the nationality of you and your partner and where the ceremony is being held. For more information of what is required, contact the Embassy/Consulate of the country where you wish to marry.

Notice of intention

Please read below for important information on what you must do and what documents are required to give notice.

All couples need to give at least 28 clear days’ notice.

Non UK/EEA nationals

If you or your partner are non UK/EEA nationals, and subject to immigration control, you must go together to a designated register office in England and Wales to give your notice whether you are getting married or forming a civil partnership at a register office, an approved premise or in any church, including the Church of England.
Croydon Register Office is a designated register office.
Where one or both partners are subject to immigration control, Register Offices are required by law to inform the Home Office of the couple's intention to marry or form a civil partnership.
The Home Office will review each couple's case and will have new powers to extend the Notice period from 29 days to 71 days. It will be the Home Office who decide whether or not the wedding or civil partnership can proceed.
Couples who have a valid Marriage/Civil Partnership Visa, Indefinite Leave to Remain or Right of Abode in the UK will not be referred to the Home Office.
More detailed information about the process can be found on the Gov.UK website

How much does it cost?

If you fall under Home Office referral scheme your fee is £47 each. All other applicants will be charged £35 each. Payment can be made by credit/debit card at your appointment.

What documents will you need to provide?

All paperwork submitted must be originals, photocopies cannot be accepted. When attending the appointment please bring the following:

British citizens, born before 1 January 1983

  • A valid passport OR
  • Birth certificate and photo ID, OR

British citizens, born after 1 January 1983

  • A valid passport OR
  • Birth certificate and photo ID, together with evidence of your parents' nationality (valid passport or birth certificate), OR
  • Naturalisation certificate and photo ID

EEA Nationals

  • Current passport OR
  • National ID card

Foreign Nationals

  • Current passport with entry clearance
  • Current passport or UK travel document with settled status in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain)
  • Identity card / residence permit card issued by the Home Office

Proof of residence

You will need provide one proof of address for each party giving notice, for example a:

  • a valid UK driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last 1 month
  • current council tax bill 
  • current mortgage statement

Have you been in a civil partnership or marriage before?

If you have been in a previous marriage or civil partnership, you will need to bring with you one of the following types of documentary evidence to show that the union has ended and that you are now free to register a civil partnership:

  • A decree absolute (following a divorce).
  • A dissolution certificate (from a previous civil partnership).
  • A death certificate (if your former civil partner or spouse has died). Translation if appropriate.

All divorce or dissolution documents must have the original stamp of the issuing court. Foreign divorce / dissolution documents will have to be referred to the General Register Office for clearance (with a certified translation if appropriate). Clearance must be granted before your ceremony can take place, this may take longer than the minimum 28 days' clear notice.

There are fees payable for the consideration of foreign divorces:

  • Consideration by a Superintendent Registrar of a divorce/civil partnership dissolution obtained outside of the British Isles £50
  • Consideration by the Registrar General of a divorce/civil partnership  dissolution obtained outside of the British Isles    £75

Fee is for consideration of the divorce/dissolution/nullity regardless of outcome and is payable at your appointment.

If the divorce was obtained within the British Isles but does not meet the criteria, for example is not a document from a court of civil jurisdiction, then it will need to be referred to the Registrar General and the Registrar General fee will be required. 

* British Isles means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Have you changed your name?

If either of you have changed your names you will need to provide the 'Evidence of change of name' (deed poll / statutory declaration) document.

Reporting suspicious ceremonies

Section 24 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 places a statutory duty on registration officers to report suspicious ceremonies to the Home Office. This is any partnership where the registration office has reasonable grounds for suspecting it has been arranged for the purpose of avoiding the effect of one or more provisions of United Kingdom Immigration Law or the Immigration Rules.

Officers have a duty to report their suspicions any time before, during or immediately after the solemnisation of the partnership


Croydon Register Office

Address Line:

Ground Floor Offices

Croydon Town Hall

Fell Road



Monday - Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm (Closed on the first Wednesday morning of every month for training )


Help downloading files