Parks and playgrounds directory

Bradmore Green


Old Coulsdon, junction of Coulsdon Road and Marlpit Lane.


4 acres 1.62 hectares.


Village green with pond.

Park history

Bradmore Green was designated part of the Bradmore Green Conservation area in 1968 because of its considerable architectural interest and its strong historical interest. The conservation area is centred around Bradmore Green and Grange Park.

The Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist and "The Barn" are included on the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Other buildings and trees are also protected because they contribute to the character of the area.  

The Green was part of the manorial lands of the Manor of Coulsdon which were acquired by the Abbey of Chertsey in Saxon times and was held until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537. The rights went to the King and thus to various famous families until the Byrons in 1783 who kept it for three generations until 1921. The land with all manorial rights passed to the Purley and Coulsdon Urban District Council.  

The village of Coulsdon was the centre of the District of Coulsdon from Saxon times till the beginning of the 20th century. It was known as Cuthraedesdune (or Cuthred's Down) and in 675 Frithwald, the Saxon petty king of Surrey, gave land at Cuthraedesdune to Chertsey Abbey.  

The Domesday Book gives the first written description of Colesdone which was held by the Abbey of Chertsey. In the time of Edward (the Confessor) it was assessed at 20 hides (an area of about 120 acres), now at 3 1/2 hides. There is land for 10 ploughs. One ploughland is in demesne (that is, the home farm of the manor). There are 10 villeins (feudal surf) and 4 cottars (man occupying a cottage in exchange for work) with 6 ploughs. There is a church and wood enough to pasture 3 pigs. In the time of King Edward it was valued at £6, now at £7.  

Contact Information

Contact phone
Enquiries email

Tollers Lane
London CR5 1BE
United Kingdom