Allotment gardening provides a wide range of benefits to communities and the environment. It is also a considerable source of joy for gardeners and can provide you with an abundance of fresh produce and exercise.
How to get an allotment plot
There are 17 allotment sites in Croydon; their management is a mix of 11 independently run allotment societies and associations and 6 sites directly let by Croydon Council. Contact details to enquire about availability for the independent sites can be downloaded from here. There is also a document at the bottom of this page, detailing the 11 independently run sites.
Croydon Council has recently changed the way allotment waiting lists are managed in an effort to speed up waiting times and make the process more efficient. As a result, five of our six direct-let sites now manage their own waiting list. In order to apply to these waiting lists you use the contacts below:
- Hartley Down: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mickleham Way: email@example.com
- Midday Sun: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Orchard Avenue (waiting list managed by Croydon Council): Download the Application Form and contact email@example.com
- Pampisford Road: PRAS@hotmail.co.uk
- Sanderstead Allotments: firstname.lastname@example.org
The location of each of these allotments is detailed on the maps below.
The cost of renting an allotment plot
A full allotment plot is approximately 250 square metres and is designed to feed a family of four, all year round. However, a half plot (125 square metres) is recommended as a good starting point for those with less experience.
Leasing a full plot on a direct let site will cost £39 per year. Plots leased from organisations other than the council start at around £40 per year. There is more information for independent sites available here.
Council allotments offer 50% discount* to the following groups of people:
- Those over 60 years of age
- Those who are unemployed
- Registered disabled people
*You will need to provide evidence to ensure you meet any of the above criteria.
Hartley Down Allotments
Stoats Nest Road
Mickleham Way Allotments
Midday Sun Allotments
St Andrew's Road
Orchard Avenue Allotments
Pampisford Road Allotments
Purley Oaks Road
- Allotment Rules [330.8KB]
- Allotment Bonfire Rules [183.7KB]
- Allotment Structure Rules [196.0KB]
- Croydon Independent Allotment Societies [343.6KB]
- Allotments how to guide - paying for your allotment online [1.3MB]
- Allotment Information Pack [471.2KB]
- Allotment Tenancy Agreement - September 2018 [240.0KB]
- Orchard Avenue Application Form [32.9KB]