Allotment gardening provides a wide range of benefits to communities and the environment. It is also a considerable source of joy for gardeners and can provide you with an abundance of fresh produce and exercise.
How to get an allotment plot
There are 17 allotment sites in Croydon; their management is a mix of 11 independently run allotment societies and associations and 6 sites directly let by Croydon Council. Contact details to enquire about availability for the independent sites can be downloaded from below.
For the council let allotments, two sites have active committees that manage the waiting lists and welcome new enquiries for plots.
The council rents out allotments in the following locations:
- Hartley Down - Stoats Nest Road, Purley. Contact: email@example.com
- Pampisford Road - Pampisford Road, South Croydon. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mickleham Way - Mickleham Way, New Addington. Contact: email@example.com
- Midday Sun - St Andrews Road, Coulsdon. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Orchard Avenue - Orchard Avenue, Shirley. Contact: email@example.com
- Sanderstead - Purley Oaks Road, Sanderstead. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that most sites currently have waiting lists.
The cost of renting an allotment plot
A full allotment plot is approximately 250 square metres and is designed to feed a family of four, all year round. However, a half plot (125 square metres) is recommended as a good starting point for the inexperienced.
Leasing a full plot from a council allotment costs £39 per year. Plots leased from organisations other than the council start at around £40 per year.
Council allotments offer these discounts:
- a 50% discount to senior citizens, the unemployed and registered disabled people
- a 50% reduction in the first year on some plots if these have not been let for 12 months and are overgrown.
Hartley Down Allotments
Stoats Nest Road
Mickleham Way Allotments
Midday Sun Allotments
St Andrew's Road
Orchard Avenue Allotments
Pampisford Road Allotments
Purley Oaks Road