Subletting your leasehold property

If you are letting your property, or are planning to do so, you need to fulfil the requirements below to ensure you comply with the terms of the lease and the conditions of the buildings insurance contract.

A property is considered let when there is a rental agreement between you and a tenant (or managing agent).

We do not enter into a subletting agreement where the property is used as an HMO (an entire house or flat, which is let to 3 or more tenants who form 2 or more households and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet)

Letting requirements

  • you must complete a notification of letting or correspondence address form and submit it with a £50 registration fee - see downloads below
  • you must supply valid gas and electrical safety certificates
  • you must continue to comply with the terms of the lease
  • you must not allow your tenants to cause nuisance to other residents
  • you must continue to pay all service charge and/or major works costs
  • you must maintain and repair all internal parts of your property
  • you must comply with all legal requirements
  • you must advise us if your correspondence address or contact details change
  • you can do this by completing a notification of subletting or correspondence address form and pay a registration fee for each new letting (see download below)

We will inform the building insurers that we have received notification of the letting. This is a condition of the policy. Failure to notify us may result in claims being refused.

Legal requirements

In addition to our requirements, if you let your property you must also ensure that you comply with regulations set out in law. These include gas and fire safety regulations and energy performance certificates (EPCs).

Please check the Thinking about renting out your home? leaflet below for more information.

EPCs for lettings were introduced in October 2008. You must have an EPC for your property and provide your tenants with a copy free of charge. The EPC shows your property's energy efficiency and suggests ways to improve it. You can find your local accredited domestic energy assessors who supply EPCs at or you can call the accreditation schemes directly for a list of their members. Costs vary so we advise you to shop around.

If you have any questions, please contact the service charges team - contact details below.

Leasehold services team

Housing, Assessment and Solutions, Floor 3, Zone B, Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom