Helping residents heat their homes and reduce their fuel bills.
Croydon Healthy Homes can fund a qualified Energy Assessor to visit you in your home, and offer the following:
- Advice about saving energy and reducing fuel bills whilst keeping warm in your home.
- Advice on using the heating controls in your home, and ensuring they are set appropriately for the needs of your household
- Advice about Smart Meters
- Fitting FREE small energy and water saving measures such as LED lightbulbs, basic draft proofing around windows and doors, radiator reflective panels and aerating taps and showerheads. Electricity Monitors can be fitted to allow you to monitor your electricity use on an ongoing basis. All the measures will be discussed with you before they are fitted, and nothing will be fitted without your consent.
- Review your home to see if larger energy efficiency measures can be fitted such as insulation, energy efficient boilers and heating controls , and assistance applying for regional and national grants such as through the London Mayor’s Warmer Homes scheme
- Fitting a FREE Carbon Monoxide detector
- Advice about damp and mould issues
- Advice about gas and electricity tariffs and payment methods. Using OFGEM accredited sites, assisting you find the best fuel tariffs for you, and if want to change to the new tariff, supporting you switch.
- Checking you are receiving all the support you are entitled from energy companies, such as Warm Homes Discount, and the Priority Services Register.
- Advice about any debt to energy companies.
- Advice about water billing, such as the benefits of having a water meter, Water Sure, and Thames Water Smarter Home Visits.
- Information about other local, regional and national schemes and initiatives which may be of interest to you, and with your consent making a referral on your behalf.
You do not have to take up all the support offered during a Home Visit.
There is no charge for the Home Visit, or fitting any of the measures.
Croydon Council has commissioned Groundwork London for 700 Home Visits, through its Green Doctors Service. Groundwork London has been providing support to households at risk of fuel poverty in London for the past ten years. In that time they have delivered over 30,000 home visits
A Home Visits usually lasts 1.5 to 2 hours. They will be allocated to households on a first come first served basis.
To be eligible for a Home Visit you must:
- Own your home or rent it from a private sector landlord (i.e. not Croydon Council or a Housing Association). If you are a Council or Housing Association leaseholder or a Shared Owner you may also be eligible. If you are a Croydon Council or Housing Association tenant, please read the information about SHINE London on this page.
- You or your partner is responsible for paying the utility bills.
In addition to the above you should meet at least one of the following 3 eligibility criteria
- You must be receive at least one of the following benefits:
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Universal Credit,
- Child Tax Credit,
- Working Tax Credit,
- Pension Guarantee Credit,
- Income Support,
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA),
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- You, or a member of your household is living with a chronic/long-term medical condition which could be exacerbated by the cold. For example arthritis, cancer, a cardiovascular disease, a respiratory condition (such as asthma or COPD), sickle cell and others.
- You, or a member of your household is 70 or over.
If you own your home or rent it from a private sector landlord, and are responsible for paying the utility bills, but do not meet one of other eligibility criteria listed above, you are still welcome to apply. Please explain your reasons for requesting a Home Visit in your response to the question “What help is required during the Croydon Healthy Homes visit?”
Households with a child under 5, or where someone is pregnant are especially encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
You can apply online here.
Please read our privacy statement below before applying. Groundwork London will contact you to arrange an appointment for the Home Visit.
You can refer someone else through the link, but must have gained their consent before proceeding
You can contact Groundwork London on Freephone number 0800 292 2529 (Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm) to book an appointment, or if you have any queries about the scheme.
Information about events where you can find out more about Croydon Healthy Homes is available on our Energy Events page.
Professionals and Voluntary/Community Groups
If you are a professional or from a community or voluntary sector group, and would like to discuss opportunities to promote Croydon Healthy Homes to your clients or members please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Malcolm Bell, Energy Officer on 020 87266000 ext 61432
If you rent your home from Croydon Council or a Housing Association and would like some support reducing your gas and electricity bills, the Seasonal Health Information Network (SHINE) may be able to help. SHINE is a fuel poverty referral network and free energy advice service for Londoners. SHINE London offers a dedicated helpline and affordable warmth interventions to ensure households get the help they need to reduce utility bills, tackle energy debt and ultimately stay well and warm.
Please visit www.shine-london.org.uk or call 0300 555 0195
Croydon Healthy Homes Privacy Notice
During the Home Visit Groundwork London will do a brief survey of your home to assess which support can be provided to improve the energy efficiency of your home, helping ensure you can heat your home adequately, but without paying more than you need to your fuel bills. With your consent we can fit some small energy and water efficiency measures which will help reduce your bills immediately.
You will be asked a series of questions about you and other people who live in your home. The information will be used to help ensure we can provide the best advice for you during the home visit, and information about other services which may be of interest to you. You do not have to answer every question, but the more information you provide us, the better the support we can offer you.
With your written consent we will use the information you provide us to apply for additional support you might be entitled to, and to other schemes of interest to you.
Your data will be held securely with only the Croydon Healthy Homes project management team having access to your personal data. The project team consists of Croydon Council’s Energy Officer, and the project team at Groundwork London. Staff of Groundwork London shall comply with relevant data protection law including the Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR. The Croydon Healthy Homes Project Management Team will anonymise some personal data to assess the how well we are doing, and help identify improvements for future schemes, but no individuals will be identifiable from the project report.
Croydon Healthy Homes is a 3 year programme running until 2021, and all the data will collect about you during the Home Visit will be deleted at the end of the programme
For more information about how we use your personal information and your rights please read the Council’s Privacy Notice on www.croydon.gov.uk/privacy.