Illegal encampments involve people camping on ground they do not own, where they do not have authority to do so.

You can report an illegal encampment via My Account.

Registering for My Account will allow you to see your own reporting information, and dealings with the council in one place.

Alternatively, contact the Police Traveller Liaison Officer on the number below.

We will arrange for an officer to visit the encampment to assess:

  • housing and educational needs
  • social services and environmental issues

If necessary, steps will be taken to remove the encampment in accordance with Section 61 or 77 of The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act.

The issue will be resolved as soon as possible. In some instances, it may take longer to resolve, for example where we need to pursue a legal route.

Illegal encampments