Vote by proxy
Proxy voting is where you choose someone you trust (a proxy) to vote for you because you are unable to do so yourself.
You must tell us why you need to vote by proxy. Reasons could include illness, disability, holiday or work arrangements.
For the security of your proxy vote, by law all applicants are required to give their signature and date of birth. Without these, your application will not be allowed.
The proxy either casts the proxy vote at the elector’s polling station, or by post.
Apply to vote by proxy
There are different application forms for a proxy vote, depending on the reason you wish to apply.
Single election proxy vote
You can apply for a proxy vote:
- for one election
Your proxy can vote on your behalf in a single election if you’re unable to go to a polling station for a particular election, for example because you are away on holiday.
An application for a single election does not need to be supported by another person.
Permanent proxy votes
Your proxy can vote on your behalf permanently if:
- you have a physical incapacity
- you are an overseas voter
- you are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces
- your employment or studying means that you are unable to go to a polling station on the day of an election
An application for a permanent proxy must be supported by a doctor, employer or course tutor, depending on the reason why you are applying.
The deadline to apply for a new proxy vote is 5pm, 6 working days before an election.
Download and complete the relevant application form on the Electoral Commission website.
Your application can be:
- returned by hand or post to the Electoral Registration Officer, Town Hall, Katharine Street, Croydon CR9 1DE
- scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proxy voting by post
You must already have a proxy vote in place before your proxy can apply to cast that vote by post.
To find out more information regarding applications for a postal proxy vote please email email@example.com
Cancel or amend your proxy vote
To cancel or amend an existing proxy vote, email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
Any changes or cancellations must be made by 5pm, 11 working days before an election.
- Application for a proxy to vote by post [188.8KB]
- Armed forces proxy vote application form [111.8KB]
- Crown servant proxy vote application form [109.6KB]
- Disability proxy vote application form [139.7KB]
- Employment proxy vote application form [144.8KB]
- Particular election proxy vote application form [102.9KB]
- Education proxy vote application form [133.8KB]
- Overseas proxy vote application form [116.5KB]
- Application form to vote by post [230.7KB]