Deadline to register in the European Parliamentary elections
The deadline to apply to vote by proxy in the European Parliamentary elections is 5pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019
Apply to vote by proxy
A proxy vote is when you choose someone to vote for you when you are not able to vote go to the polling station yourself. Unlike a postal vote you must give a reason why you need to vote by proxy. Proxy votes can be arranged for an indefinite period, or for a single election.
Proxy votes for an indefinite period
When applying for a proxy vote for a single election you can apply for a proxy vote for an indefinite period because of a permanent physical disability, illness or
- You are blind or otherwise physically incapacitated
- You or your spouse would be prevented from voting in person due to work or if you are studying at college or university
Applications for an indefinite period will have to be supported by a doctor, employer or course tutor, depending on the reason why you are applying.
Proxy vote for a single election
You still need to give a reason why you cannot vote in person at your polling station, for example if you are on holiday when the election is taking place. However applications for a single election do not need to be supported by another person.
For the security of your proxy vote by law all applicants are required to give their signature and date of birth. If you do not provide your date of birth and signature your application will not be allowed.
If you are unable to provide a signature, or you are unable to sign in a consistent or distinctive way because of any disability, or you are unable to read or write, the Registration Officer, in these circumstances, may grant you a waiver, which will mean you will not be required to provide a signature. However, you will still be required to give your date of birth.
The forms for arranging a proxy vote for an indefinite period and single election can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.
Deadline for proxy vote applications
The deadline to apply for new proxy votes is 5pm 6 working days prior to an election.
All completed forms can be:
- Returned by hand or post to the Electoral Registration Officer, Town Hall, Katharine Street, Croydon, CR9 1DE.
- Scanned and emailed to email@example.com
How does the proxy vote?
The proxy either casts the proxy vote at the elector’s polling station, or they can apply to cast the proxy vote by post. The Application for a proxy to vote by post form can be downloaded below. The deadline for a proxy to arrange to vote by post is 5pm on 11 working days before an election (please note the different deadline to that for the elector to apply for a proxy vote).
- Application for a proxy to vote by post [16.2KB]
- Armed Forces - Proxy vote application form [111.8KB]
- Crown Servant - Proxy vote application form [109.6KB]
- Disability - Proxy vote application form [139.7KB]
- Employment - Proxy vote application form [144.8KB]
- Particular election - Proxy vote application form [102.9KB]
- Education - Proxy vote application form [133.8KB]