Who should pay Council Tax

Find out who is responsible for paying Council Tax and if you're exempt from paying.


If you're 18 or over and live in a home you own or rent you will need to pay Council Tax, unless:

  • the owner lives in the property
  • you and others living in the property have separate tenancy agreements
  • you are exempt from paying

You could face court action and a fine if you do not pay your Council Tax instalments.

If your property is shared with other people

If the property is shared with other people who have separate tenancy agreements to live in the property, the property may be considered to be a house in multiple occupation. This means the landlord or owner will be responsible for paying the Council Tax and not the tenants.

If you have a joint tenancy agreement that names you and all the other persons living in the property, you will all be responsible for paying the Council Tax.

If more than one person is responsible to pay the Council Tax bill

If there is more than one person responsible for paying the Council Tax, we can legally recover the full amount of money owed from any of the individuals.

Adding someone to your Council Tax bill

If you wish to add someone to your Council Tax bill, such as a partner, please contact our Council Tax team.

Croydon Council Tax team
Telephone: 02087 267 000 
Payment line: 0345 300 0614 (option 3)
Email: croyctax@croydon.gov.uk

If no one is living at the property

Usually, the landlord or owner is responsible for the Council Tax if no one is living at the property.

For more information, read our section on Council Tax for landlords.