Council tax band reduction for disabilities

If you or someone you live with has a disability, you may be entitled to a reduction in the amount of council tax you pay. 

A council tax reduction for disabilities is provided if you're a person with a disability or you live with someone who has a disability, and your home has adaptations to meet the needs of the disability.

Qualifying criteria

In order to qualify for a reduction for disabilities, the disabled person:

  • must live in the property
  • does not have to be the person who pays the council tax
  • can be an adult or child
  • must be substantially and permanently disabled - this includes learning difficulties and mental health problems as well as physical disabilities

In addition, your home must have at least one of the following:

  • an additional bathroom or kitchen to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • an additional room (not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory), which is predominantly used by the disabled person and is required to meet their needs
  • sufficient floor space for the disabled person to use a wheelchair

"Required to meet their needs" includes anything which is essential or of major importance to the wellbeing of the disabled person.

Apply for a reduction for disabilities

To get a reduction, you must make a claim. Please download the claims form (Word Doc, 34 KB), complete it, and send it to us at the address or email below. 

We will need to visit your home before we make a decision.

If you are awarded a disabled reduction, we will normally date the reduction from the day you make the claim.

Reduction rates

If you are awarded a disabled reduction, the amount of council tax we charge will be one band lower than the band your home has been placed in by the valuation officer. For example, if your property is in Band E we will charge you at Band D. If your property is in Band A, we will charge you at 5/9ths of a Band D property.

You will still receive a council tax discount and council tax benefit if these apply to you.

If you no longer qualify

You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you should no longer be receiving a disabled reduction. 

Please write to or email us at the address below with the relevant details, including your council tax account number.

If we find out later that you were not entitled to a reduction or to the amount of reduction you were awarded, we are required by law to add this amount to your account and we will send you a revised bill. 

Council Tax team


Council Tax team, Croydon Council
Bernard Weatherill House 8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom