The council is pleased to introduce Achieving Access for All, Croydon's first guide to making information and services accessible to disabled people. It brings together in one place a range of practical information that will help to make services accessible for disabled people.
We are committed to making Croydon into a place noted for its safety, openness, and community spirit where all people are welcome to live and work. We want everyone to recognise and respect each other's differences as well as be united by shared values around freedom, opportunity, fairness and responsibility.
We all have a role to play in helping to make Croydon a place of opportunity and belonging. This means everyone is given the best opportunities throughout their lives to make the most of their abilities and fulfil their potential.
In Croydon disabled people play a vital role in helping influence and shape the services available in the borough. This series of guidance documents are intended to be used by anyone in a range of situations to ensure together we achieve access for all.
This document is dedicated in memory of Jeanette Wallace, Chair of Croydon Disability Forum (2003 - 2010) and Disabled Peoples' Champion - Croydon Council.
Jeanette sadly died on 17 February 2010. She was a key partner with the Local Strategic Partnership, and was an active member of a number of partnership boards, consultation committees and groups in the borough, over a 10 year period. She also co-authored the original council version of Achieving Access for All, over a four year period, and contributed to this 2010 refreshed document.
- Achieving Access for All - Contents [99.4KB]
- Card 1 - Foreword [704.5KB]
- Card 2 - Being Disability Aware [723.8KB]
- Card 3 - The Social Model of Disability [840.3KB]
- Card 4 - A Brief Guide to Inclusive Design [611.3KB]
- Card 5 - Making Information Accessible [781.9KB]
- Card 6 - Making Text Accessible [729.9KB]
- Card 7 - Producing Information in Alternative Formats [747.9KB]
- Card 8 - Organising a Conference, Seminar or other Public Meetings [916.3KB]
- Card 9 - Overhead Projector and PowerPoint Presentations [622.0KB]
- Card 10 - Assisting Blind and Partially Sighted People [785.4KB]
- Guide 11 - Communicating with People who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing [730.8KB]
- Card 12 - Understanding People with Speech Impairments [621.0KB]
- Card 13 - Assisting People with Mobility Difficulties [645.8KB]
- Card 14 - Improving Access for People with a Learning Difficulty [620.8KB]
- Card 15 - Making Information Accessible for People with Dyslexia [756.3KB]
- Card 16 - Improving Access for People with Mental Health Issues [625.4KB]
- Card 17 - Legal framework [925.0KB]
- Card 18 - Advice and Support [628.2KB]