London Borough of Croydon

One person can be licensed and employ or sub-contract an unlimited number of licensed vehicles. However, a licensed private hire driver cannot accept any bookings unless he either holds or works for a licensed private hire operator. An operator may pass a booking to another licensed private hire vehicle operator provided that the operator is also licensed by the Public Carriage Office.

Members of the public have initial contact with the operator and make the contract with them even if the operator does not provide the vehicle and/or the driver.

Before an operator's licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the council that the address from which they intend to operate is suitable and, where applicable, satisfy any conditions that may be attached to the licence in order not to disturb the ambience of the area.

You need to obtain planning permission from the council allowing use of the building that will be used as a booking office.

A certificate of public liability insurance is required where the public have access to the premises i.e. waiting room, etc. However, where no public access or waiting facilities are provided or if you wish to operate your own vehicle from home, this insurance is not necessary.

Anyone applying for an operators licence who is not currently a vehicle proprietor or licensed private hire driver needs to have a statutory declaration form completed by a solicitor.

Contact the TfL for more information.