If you are planning a public gathering, either in a Croydon park or highway, you will have to consider public safety. Public gatherings include:
- community festivals
- commercial events
- country or craft shows
- fun runs
- street market events
- charity events
- any other public event
Definition of an event
An event is defined in our policy as:
A planned activity in a specific location and for a limited period of time that members of the public can attend. The activity can take place either indoors or outdoors, on public land or in private property. The activity or occasion can reasonably be expected to cause a public gathering that is not part of the normal course of business at that location and time.
Commercial events are those that are intended to make a profit, including product launches, corporate events, other marketing and promotional activities. This also includes circuses, fairgrounds, and ticketed festivals.
These are events organised by local not-for-profit, community or voluntary groups that directly benefit the residents of Croydon and do not provide significant advertising or other commercial benefit to a profit-making business or organisation.
Events organised by registered charities and are predominantly fund-raising or awareness-raising events for the benefit of the charity. A registered charity number should be provided.
These are sporting or physical activity events organised with or without a charge to those attending the activity. Generally where groups are offering training or organisation without a charge there will not be a booking fee but an application fee may still apply.
Before you hold a public event, you must complete an event application form and risk assessment with copy of the public liability insurance and an event management plan. Use the forms below and send them to us at our contact address or email. This information will enable our officers to help you plan a safe event.
Download our guide to organising safe and successful events in Croydon.
It includes information on:
- organisers' responsibilities
- risk assessments
- public liability insurance to the value of £5 million (dependant of expected capacity of the event)
- site preparation
- event promotion
- recommended reading
- contact details of organisations that can provide assistance
Alternatively, contact us using the details below and we will send you copies of the guide and forms.
£30 including VAT for charity/community event
£120 including VAT for a commercial event
These fees are non-refundable
Payment by cheque payable to Croydon Council, sent to:
Food & Safety Floor 6 Zone A
Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk
Alternatively you can pay online through the PAY for IT portal. You will need to:
- Select “Events” from the Product Search drop down at the top of the page
- Select Commercial, Community or Charity public event application fee
You will be asked to register on the system just before payment is made.
General Data Protection Regulations and sharing information
The safety and security of your event is paramount. We will store the information provided to us our internal Council database. However to help ensure that your event runs smoothly we will share this with appropriate internal Council departments including Parks, Highways, Parking Services. Additionally external agencies including police, London Fire Brigade, London Ambulance Service may also provided this information. We will keep a record of who this has been shared with. Please advise if you do not want this to be shared with a Safety Advisory Group partners.
Other fees may apply, contact:
- Licensing - www.croydon.gov.uk/business/licences/entertain
- Parking - www.croydon.gov.uk/transportandstreets/parking
- Highways (road closures) - www.croydon.gov.uk/transportandstreets/rhps/roads/tmos
- Parks - www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/parksandopenspaces/parkhire
- Advertising - banners and posters - www.croydon.gov.uk/transportandstreets/rhps/advertising-local-events-in-croydon
- Public event application form [72.6KB]
- Events policy [88.9KB]
- Guidance organising events [64.4KB]
- Risk assessment guidance [307.0KB]
- Generic risk assessment example [345.2KB]
- Organising a safe event checklist [25.5KB]
- Outdoor catering [37.3KB]
- Hazardous substance attack - safety guide [1.5MB]
- Suspicious packages [12.8KB]
- Fire safety for markets [46.1KB]
- Beat the heat [138.1KB]