London Borough of Croydon

Information for landlords and managing/letting agents

To help us keep your records up to date please let us know when the tenants have moved in or out of your property:

  • If you have a tenant moving in, please complete the online moving in form
  • If you have a tenant moving out, please complete the online moving out form

We are no longer able to accept enquiries via email, letter or telephone regarding tenants moving in and out of your property/properties. Please use the forms available online.

Circumstances where the landlord will be responsible for council tax even though the property is occupied

Properties that are shared by tenants - houses in multiple occupation 

  • If the tenants have separate tenancy agreements, but share facilities such as the kitchen or bathroom; or
  • The tenants do not have access to the whole property.

In these cases the property would be considered an HMO (house in multiple occupation) and the landlord liable for council tax. For more information on houses in multiple occupation, please contact the council tax section using the details at the bottom of the page.

Other circumstances where the landlord will be liable for council tax:

  • If you let your property to a tenant who is under 18 years old, you will remain liable for council tax. However, an exemption will be granted until your tenant's 18th birthday. When the tenant becomes 18 years old, they will be held liable and a council tax account will be set up in their name. Please visit the discounts and exemptions page for further information
  • Residential care homes and nursing homes
  • Certain hostels providing care and support
  • House of religious communities
  • Second homes with domestic servants
  • Residences of ministers of religion.

Did you know?

You can view your council tax accounts online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on My Account. This will give you access to view discounts, exemptions, payments and much more. In addition to this, if you are receiving housing benefit payments for your tenants, you can review your payment schedule.

You can register at

Useful contacts

Council Tax - 020 8726 7000 option 1

Housing Benefit - 020 8726 7000 option 2

Tenancy Relations - 020 8760 5749

Street Naming and Numbering - 020 8760 5538

Valuation Office -