London Borough of Croydon

What is Local Housing Allowance?

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is a way of working out how much Housing Benefit we can pay you if you are renting a property or room from a private landlord.

The LHA is based on the area in which you live and the number of people living in your household. It is not based on the rent you are charged by your private landlord.

Local Housing Allowance will not apply to you if:

  • your tenancy started before 15 January 1989
  • you pay rent to the Council or a Housing Association
  • you live in supported accommodation
  • you live in a caravan or mobile home

How many bedrooms am I entitled to?

The number of bedrooms you need will be based on how many people you have living with you. We do not count other rooms such as living room, kitchen or bathroom.

You will be assessed as needing one bedroom for each of the people up to a maximum of four bedrooms.

  • every adult couple
  • any other adult aged 16 or over
  • any two children of the same sex under 16
  • any two children under 10 regardless of sex
  • any other child

You may be allowed an extra bedroom if you have:

  • a carer who provides you or your partner with regular overnight care but doesn’t live with you
  • a child with a severe disability who is unable to share a bedroom
  • a foster child or children
  • a child in armed forces who lived with you before going away on duty and they intend to return to live with you

To work out how many bedrooms your household needs please use the bedroom calculator

What Local Housing Allowance rate will I receive?

The Local Housing Allowance rates are set by the Valuation Office Agency. We pay two different rates of Local Housing Allowance which is based on where you live in Croydon.

Please use the LHA rates website to find the rates for your address.

Are you under 35?

If you are living alone and under 35 years old you are only entitled to the single room rate. However, certain under 35s are entitled to the one bedroom rate if you:

  • receive the middle or higher rate care component of the Disability Living Allowance or the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • need an extra bedroom for a carer who provides you with overnight care, but, doesn't normally live with you and you have a spare room available for them
  • are aged under 22 and have been in care
  • are over 25 and have spent at least three months in a specialist hostel (or hostels) for homeless people and the main purpose of the hostel(s) was to provide accommodation, care, supervision or support to assist rehabilitation or resettlement in the community.

This only applies if you are living in a self-contained one bedroom property. If you are living in shared accommodation you will only receive the single room rate.

Did you know?

You can now check your benefits online, 24 hours a day,7 days a week, giving you access to your payments, entitlement, how your claim has been calculated and lots more. Register for a customer account. See more online council services with our new My Account.