London Borough of Croydon

The Disabled persons Freedom Pass allows free travel in London and free bus travel nationally for qualifying disabled people. Different freedom passes are also available to those who have reached state pension age.

You can get a Disabled persons Freedom Pass if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability or have suffered an injury that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability that includes a significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • have applied for a driving licence and have been refused (under the Road Traffic Act 1988)

The list of medical conditions under which a person may be refused a driving licence is extensive but includes:

  • people with certain mental health issues
  • people with impaired vision but whose sight is not so impaired that they qualify as blind or partially sighted (see above)
  • people with a diagnosis of epilepsy, whose condition has not been completely controlled by medication for a year or more

For more information about the conditions and circumstances under which a licence may be refused on medical grounds, visit DVLA and GOV.UK.

The pass allows free travel on:

  • all buses nationally
  • the London Underground
  • Docklands Light Railway
  • Croydon Tramlink
  • National Rail trains after 9.30am (no time restrictions apply on weekends and public holidays)

In addition to passes issued under criteria specified in the Transport Act, we will also continue to issue some discretionary passes.

A discretionary pass may be approved for Croydon residents if they:

  • receive support from social services under the Care Act 2015 because they have a severe mental illness identified and defined by a medical practitioner, provided the issue of a pass will support the achievement of outcomes specified in their care plan
  • are registerable as disabled under the Care Act 2015 who receive support from social services, provided the issue of a pass will support the achievement of outcomes specified in their care plan

Discretionary passes are issued for London use only.

Applying for a new pass

If you are applying for a pass for the first time, you need to complete a form and return it to us, together with proof of address, proof of identity and a passport standard photograph.

A Disabled person's Freedom Pass is only issued following an assessment of eligibility by the travel services team.

Application forms may be collected from Access Croydon at Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk or you can email to request a form.

Appeal process  - what to do if you are dissatisfied with the decision we have made

If you wish to appeal against a decision we have made you can view our concessionary travel service appeals policy from the downloads section below.

This policy covers the process and arrangements that are needed to enable service users to appeal against rejections of either applications for Freedom Passes, Taxicards and Blue Badges or against previous appeals.

Lost, stolen or faulty passes

You can request a replacement for a lost, stolen or faulty freedom pass at London Councils or you can call the Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, open Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm).

There is a £12 fee for the replacement of all lost, damaged or faulty passes, payable by debit or credit card. 

There is no charge to replace stolen passes so long as a crime reference number can be produced. 

A charge will be made to replace passes claimed to be faulty but this charge will be refunded if the card is found to be faulty once tested. 

Further information, including alternative payment methods is available from London Councils Freedom Pass.

A new card can be issued straight away, provided there have not been repeated incidences of lost passes occurring within the past 12 months. 

Customer satisfaction

We are interested to hear from you at any time. You can contact the Travel Service Team by email, post or telephone using the contact details shown below.


Freedom Pass helpline

0300 330 1433

Travel services

020 8726 7100
Address Line:

Travel services

3rd Floor Zone E

Bernard Weatherill House

Mint Walk

Croydon CR0 1EA


Help downloading files