The courses are for people age 16 and over and are designed to give them an insight into all aspects of driving. They are run by the British School of Motoring (BMA) at local schools, sixth forms and colleges and include:
- approximately 1-2 hours of off-road tuition by an approved driving instructor (usually on school grounds)
- preparing for both theory and practical tests
- assistance completing the relevant forms, including the driving licence application
- choosing a driving instructor
- safety when driving alone
- advice on buying your first car, getting insurance and basic car maintenance
- advice on the available relevant literature.