On 7 April 2014 the council's cabinet resolved to make a compulsory purchase order (CPO) to assist in assembling the land needed to implement the scheme. The CPO is entitled:
"The London Borough of Croydon (Whitgift Centre and surrounding land bounded by and including parts of Poplar Walk, Wellesley Road, George Street and North End) compulsory purchase order 2014".
Stopping up of Dingwall Avenue
On 14 March 2014, the Croydon Partnership applied to the London Borough of Croydon for an order under section 2479(2A) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to authorise the stopping up of the complete width and length of Dingwall Avenue extending back from the footway along Wellesley Road westwards for a distance of 117 metres as shown on the draft stopping up order plan.
The plan and supporting documentation can be viewed on the dedicated Inquiry website, the link for which is below under Further Information.
A joint public inquiry into the proposed CPO and stopping up of Dingwall Avenue was held during February and March 2015, and both have been confirmed.
For further information on the Inquiry, please visit the dedicated Inquiry website.
Secretary of State Decision
On 15 September 2015, the Secretary of State’s decision to confirm the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) for the Whitgift Centre and surrounding land was published.
This decision enables Croydon Council to use its powers to purchase the land and interests needed for the redevelopment. A copy of the decision letter and Inspector’s report can be downloaded below.
You can read more on the CPO by following the links below.
- Notice of Confirmation
- Secretary of State Decision Letter – CPO
- CPO Report to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- Report to cabinet on 7 April 2014
- Presentation to cabinet on 7 April 2014
- CPO map
- Compulsory purchase order
- Compulsory purchase order - schedule
- Statement of reasons
- Indicative timetable
- Exceptional hardship scheme
- Croydon Partnership website
- CPO/SUO Inquiry webpage and documents
- Secretary of State Decision Letter – CPO [189.1KB]
- CPO Report to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government [627.0KB]
- Notice of Confirmation [155.8KB]
- Whitgift Regeneration Newsletter July 2015 [443.4KB]
- Business support factsheet [233.8KB]
- Public Notice of Inquiry [138.2KB]
- Report to cabinet on 7 April 2014 [299.4KB]
- CPO map [593.8KB]
- Compulsory purchase order [20.6KB]
- Compulsory purchase order schedule [2.4MB]
- Exceptional hardship scheme [203.1KB]
- Statement of reasons [290.7KB]
- Presentation to cabinet on 7 April 2014 [6.3MB]