For all planning enquiries, use our planning enquiry form.
We're experiencing a significant increase in the number of planning application and pre-application submissions. This has affected our ability to comply with our stated service standards.
We are working to rectify these delays. The pre-application engagement is an important part of the planning process.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.
Book an appointment online
The duty planning officer service is for the simplest applications such as:
- extension to a dwelling house
- roof extension to a dwelling house
- alteration to a dwelling a house (including vehicular access)
- extension to a small business (eg shop)
- change of use to small business (eg shop)
- adverts or signage
The following are not covered:
- conversions of properties into flats
- changes of use or extensions of large commercial premises
- new housing development (including backland/infill houses)
- any work to listed buildings or locally listed buildings
- any works that are within or effect the character and appearance of conservation areas
Your application may not need planning permission. Visit the planning portal website before booking an appointment.
What to bring to your appointment
We recommend you bring:
- a sketch plan and elevation of what you propose
- photographs of the existing property and neighbouring properties
- an Ordnance Survey plan or plan from your deeds, which must show the relevant property and any neighbouring properties
Provided as much information as possible as the list above could change.
What you can expect from the appointment
- what requires planning permission
- what our guidance documents state
- feedback around whether the proposal is likely to be acceptable
This service is available from 10am to 4pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and costs £96. You will need to book at least 48 hours in advance to give the duty officer time to review your information.
The meeting will be consist of 2 main sections. The first 20 minutes will be a discussion about your application. The remaining 10 minutes is for the officer to write up a summary of the discussion, which will be emailed to you after the meeting.
Development management technical support
6th Floor, Zone A/B
Bernard Wetherill House
8 Mint Walk