London Borough of Croydon

The freedom pass allows free travel in London for qualifying disabled people. A freedom pass is also available to those who have reached state pension age.

You can get a disabled person's freedom pass if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability or have suffered an injury that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • Have a learning disability that includes a significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • have applied for a driving licence and have been refused (under the Road Traffic Act 1988).

The list of medical conditions under which a person may be refused a driving licence is extensive but includes:

  • people with certain mental health issues
  • people with impaired vision but whose sight is not so impaired that they qualify as blind or partially sighted (see above)
  • people with a diagnosis of epilepsy, whose condition has not been completely controlled by medication for a year or more.

For more information about the conditions and circumstances under which a licence may be refused on medical grounds please see the DVLA and GOV.UK websites.

The pass allows free travel on:

  • all buses within greater London
  • the Underground
  • Docklands Light Rail
  • Croydon Tramlink
  • National Rail trains after 9.30am (no time restrictions apply on weekends and public holidays).

In addition to passes issued under criteria specified in the Transport Act, we will also continue to issue some discretionary passes.

A discretionary pass may be approved for Croydon residents if they:

  • Receive support from social services under the Care Act 2015 because they have a severe mental illness identified and defined by a medical practitioner. Provided the issue of a pass will support the achievement of outcomes specified in their care plan.

  • Are registerable as disabled under the Care Act 2015 who receive support from social services. Provided the issue of a pass will support the achievement of outcomes specified in their care plan.

Discretionary passes are issued for London use only.

Applying for a new freedom pass

If you are applying for a disabled person's freedom pass for the first time, you need to complete a form and return it to us, together with proof of address, proof of identity and a passport standard photograph.

A disabled person's freedom pass is only issued following an assessment of eligibility by the travel services team.

Application forms may be collected from Access Croydon at Bernard Weatherill House, Mint Walk or you can email to request a form. London Councils will be developing an online application process in collaboration with the 32 boroughs in the near future.

Appeal process  - what to do if you are dissatisfied with the decision we have made

If you wish to appeal against a decision we have made you can view our 'Concessionary Travel Service Appeals Policy' from the downloads section below.

This policy covers the process and arrangements that are needed to enable service users to appeal against rejections of either applications for Freedom Passes, Taxicards and Blue Badges or against previous appeals.

Lost, stolen or faulty passes

You can request a replacement for a lost, stolen or faulty freedom pass online at London Councils or you can call the Freedom pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate-open Monday to Saturday 8am-8pm).

There is a £12 fee for the replacement of all lost, damaged or faulty passes.  Please have a debit or credit card ready. 

There is no charge to replace stolen passes so long as a crime reference number can be produced. 

A charge will be made to replace passes claimed to be faulty but this charge will be refunded if the card is found to be faulty once tested. 

Further information, including alternative payment methods is available on the London Councils Freedom Pass website.

A new card can be issued straight away, provided there have not been repeated incidences of lost passes occurring within the past 12 months. 

60+ Oyster card

London residents who have reached age 60 years but have not yet reached state retirement age can apply for a 60+ Oyster card which is provided by Transport for London. See the freedom pass website at for more information about this type of travel pass and how to apply.

Customer satisfaction survey

Each quarter, the travel services team send out 300 postcard style surveys to our customers, to seek feedback about our performance and to invite suggestions for improvements. If you receive one of these postcards, we would appreciate it if you would take the time to complete the survey to let us know what you think about our performance. We aim to publish the results and the actions we have taken as a result of your comments by updating this website twice yearly.

Of course, you do not need to receive a survey card to tell us your views; we would be interested to hear from you at any time. You can contact the travel service team by email, post or telephone using the contact details shown below.


Freedom Pass Helpline

0300 330 1433

Travel services

020 8726 7100
Address Line:

Travel services

3rd Floor Zone E

Bernard Weatherill House

Mint Walk

Croydon CR0 1EA


Help downloading files