Update: 21 May 2020
Current status of Croydon parks
Croydon’s parks remain open to the public.
Do not visit a park if you have any coronavirus symptoms such as a fever, cough or shortness of breath. See NHS guidelines to check if this applies to you. You should also read GOV.UK's advice on accessing green spaces safely.
Using our parks during the COVID-19 lockdown
Our parks and green spaces play an important role in the physical and mental wellbeing of our residents and are a lifeline for those without gardens and others needing fresh air or exercise. Please use them responsibly by:
- maintaining social distancing – 2m apart or ‘1m plus’ - with anyone outside of your household
- cycling considerately for other users and not on undesignated bridleways in greenspaces with fragile habitats
- only being with people from your household or up to one other household – or in groups of up to six people from different households
The government's website provides comprehensive guidance on how to stay safe and behave responsibly when outside of your home.
What you can do at the park
From 4 July 2020, our playground and outdoor gyms will be open for responsible public use. You can also use open access sports facilities, such as basketball or tennis courts and multi-use games areas, though with all our facilities, you must maintain social distancing at all times.
The playgrounds, outdoor gyms and recreational areas are not sanitised and users of these facilities are doing so at their own risk. As a result, please follow the guidelines to keep everyone safe.
Toilet facilities have been opened at a number of our parks. The facilities will be opened, closed, cleansed and restocked daily. Please be considerate to other park visitors by being respectful and responsible with the facilities and amenities.
How to protect yourself while outside
Signage has been put in place at these facilities to inform and advise key messages, including:
- avoid visiting parks, green spaces and recreational areas if you have any coronavirus symptoms
- maintain social distancing in line with current government guidance
- use a tissue or sleeve to catch a cough or sneeze
- avoid touching your face
- use the toilet facilities if necessary, otherwise go home if you can
- use your own hand sanitiser or wipes before and after using equipment
- at outdoor gyms please use a towel to wipe down the equipment after use
- no eating or drinking in and around playgrounds
- if the playground or outdoor gym is busy, please wait or return later
- wash your hands as soon as you return home
Report a problem or a breach of the Coronavirus measures
If there's a problem in a Croydon park, you can email email@example.com.
If you see someone breaching the COVID-19 measures, you should contact the police.