Croydon Council and Family Action are co-ordinating Holiday Food and Fun: programmes of free food and activities for children and families during the summer holidays 2019. The scheme is funded by the Department for Education.
Children aged 5 to 16 will be able to join the 4-week programmes. Many programmes are aimed at the whole family, with support workers from Croydon Council available to chat to parents and carers about support they could get, while the children enjoy tasty food and fun things to do.
We are currently supporting local partners to deliver Holiday Food and Fun across Croydon, so please check back here or on the Family Action page for more information about your nearest club.
Kids will get:
- a free healthy meal and snacks
- an hour or more of physical activities
- activities to learn about food planning and healthy living
- a wide range of other activities, like arts and crafts
Adults will get:
- face-to-face chats with support providers, free and no obligation
- signposting to support services: budgeting, debt advice, welfare benefits, employment support, housing advice, health and wellbeing, and family support
- time off from childcare
The Department for Education has given funding for free meals and activities programmes over the summer to 11 different local authority projects. Croydon is one of the local authorities selected, and Family Action and Croydon Council are jointly coordinating the pilot programme in this borough.
The scheme is testing how best to support children, particularly those receiving free school meals (FSM), during school holidays. The activities are open to all, with a particular focus on helping disadvantaged children and their families.