London Borough of Croydon

I have a question about my annual invoice

If you have a query about your service charge invoice please contact the service charges team, and quote your customer account number when contacting us. This can be found on the front of your invoice.

I don't think I am getting a good quality service from the council

Raise your concerns with the service manager as soon as possible. It is often not possible to sort out problems concerning service delivery long after the problem occurred. Do not wait until you receive your annual service charge invoice before raising problems. The annual bill could relate to services provided over a year earlier.

I don't think the council is using the service charges efficiently or effectively

If at least two thirds of the leaseholders in a block agree, they can hire a qualified surveyor, architect or valuer to carry out a management audit. The leaseholders must pay for this.

I don't think I am getting a good quality service from the contractor

If you are not happy you should let the contractor and the council know while they are still on site. It is much more difficult to resolve problems after the contractor has left. You will be provided with contact information when the work begins on your property.

I want to question the amount I have been charged

Leaseholders have a legal right to request a written summary of the costs included in the service charge. The request must be made in writing and can only relate to the current or last annual period. The council must respond to such a request within one month or within six months from the end of the accounting period if this is later. If more than four flats are involved, the summary must be certified by a qualified accountant.

Once the summary has been received, you have up to six months to ask to inspect and copy any relevant accounts or receipts. We must provide the summary and a place to look at the documents free of charge, although we can make a reasonable charge for copying documents. We are allowed to recover all costs later as part of the management and administration element of the service charge when we send out the next annual service charge invoice.

What can I do if I think the service charges are unreasonable?

Please contact the service charge team first. You have the right to take your case to a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal (LVT). The LVT hears both sides of a dispute and gives a decision based on the evidence, judgement and experience of the LVT members. You will have to pay a fee for this service. See contact details below.

You can also contact the Citizens Advice Bureau, a Law Centre or a solicitor for advice at any time.


Leasehold Valuation Tribunal

020 7446 7700
Address Line:

10 Alfred Place


Leasehold services team

020 8726 6100 extn 65480
Address Line:

Housing, Assessment and Solutions

Floor 3, Zone B

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk




Help downloading files