Private rented property licence register
Check the register to see if your property is licensed. You can also report unlicensed properties.
As part of its drive to make Croydon a better place to rent, Croydon Council has designated the borough a private rented property licence area.
This means that owners of every privately rented home in the borough must apply to the council for a Croydon private rented property licence. This became a legal requirement from 1 October 2015.
Through the application process, the council will determine that the proposed licence holder is a "fit and proper" person to manage their properties.
Landlords renting a property without a licence face fines of up to £20,000. While those that fail to comply with licence conditions can be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000.
Before you start the process, it is essential that you read the:
- Licence conditions in full
- Our frequently asked questions about the scheme
- The full list of exemptions (Annex B)
- Documents and information required for the application
- Health and safety checks
- Standard property licence conditions.
You will need a scanned copy of your gas certificate and a credit or debit card for payment. Please note cash and cheques are not accepted. For more information on this please download the'payment methods' document below.
- Croydon private rented property licence: £750 per property. (We consider a property to be a single dwelling. For instance, five individual flats in a house would require five licences).
- Landlords with multiple rented properties in the borough must complete an application for each property.
How do I apply?
Please apply using the link below. Read the documents and information required to help you complete your application.
Applications are to be made online through our My Account area. If you are not a registered My Account user you will need to register before you can apply.
If someone is unable to apply online, please contact property licensing to make an appointment., Unfortunately due to high demands unscheduled appointments cannot be accommodated. Please call 020 8726 6103, available Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm or email email@example.com .
Apply for a Croydon private rented property licence (you will need to log in to My Account or register for an account first).
What happens once I have applied for a licence?
Once you have applied and paid for your licence, you will receive a receipt. Your licence application will be checked to verify the information provided. We will contact you if any information is missing.
Completed applications will be assessed and either approved or refused. There is no need to take further action and you will be notified accordingly once a decision has been made.
What happens once my licence is approved?
Once your licence is approved, you will be sent confirmation of your licence. This will include the terms and conditions. You will also receive a landlord information pack to help you with your management responsibilities. We also sign you up to the Croydon private rented property licence scheme e-newsletter.
What happens if my licence is refused?
If your licence is refused, we will let you know in writing the reasons for the refusal. If you do not agree with the decision you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber - Residential Property). This must be within 28 days from when the decision was made.
Duration of licence
The licence will last the duration of the scheme which is until 30 September 2020. In some circumstances, licences may be granted for shorter periods.
Change of circumstances
Licence holders are responsible for informing the council of any changes in their circumstances. changes should be notified within 28 working days. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8726 6103, available Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm.
Please see below our CPRPL scheme refunds policy:
Refunds will be issued if:
- you have made a duplicate application
- you made an application for an exempted property by mistake.
Refunds will not be issued if:
- we refuse your application
- you withdraw your application
- we revoke (take away) your licence
- you are refused planning permission for an non-mandatory licence.
Please note that if you cancel your licence before it expires, a refund will not be issued for any remaining time.
Please also note that licences are non-transferrable. For change of licence holder or property address, a new registration at full fee is required.
Right of appeal
If landlords are dissatisfied with a decision the council has made about their licence, we would recommend they email us:
email@example.com or call 020 8726 6103, available Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm.
If a landlord is still dissatisfied with the decision, they can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal. This must be within 28 days of the decision being made.
First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber - Residential Property)
1st Floor, 10 Alfred Place
Tel: 020 7446 7700
Fax: 020 7637 1250
Complaining to the council
You can make a complaint about a council service via our online form.
Please see our making a complaint pages for further information.
- Landlord forum 15 May & 23 June 2017 – minutes [284.6KB]
- Landlord newsletter November 2016 [231.9KB]
- Licence conditions in full [291.4KB]
- Selective licensing - designation order including exemptions [380.4KB]
- Croydon private rented property licence - frequently asked questions [406.3KB]
- Health and safety checks [187.9KB]
- Standard property licence conditions [178.9KB]
- Documentation information [971.8KB]
- Payment methods [175.6KB]
- Selective licensing forum terms of reference [194.6KB]
- Landlord newsletter November 2015 [140.2KB]
- Landlord newsletter June 2016 [241.5KB]