London Borough of Croydon

When you have found somewhere to live in the private rented sector, you are likely to be asked to pay either a deposit or rent in advance or sometimes both.

If you do not have any money available, you may be able to apply to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for a Budgeting Loan to cover four weeks' rent only. You will not be able to get help with any deposit.

A budgeting loan can be considered if you have been in receipt of Income Support or Job Seeker's Allowance for a period of at least 26 weeks. This type of loan is offered at the discretion of the DWP. For further enquiries concerning this, you will need to contact Jobcentre Plus or the DWP.

If you are unable to get this type of help, you may have to consider asking for financial help from your family or friends. It may be possible that some landlords may make an arrangement for you to pay extra to build up a deposit. If this is the case, do remember to get receipts for any payments.

If you are not working you will require a guarantor. Remember - you should take independent financial advice before committing to any large or regular payments.

Information about where you can get free independent financial advice can be obtained from our information sheet 12 - money matters and advice agents below.

Renting a room in shared accommodation will be cheaper than renting a flat. If you do not have any money you may have to consider sharing accommodation until you have managed to save enough money to move into self-contained accommodation.


Help downloading files