Croydon private rented property licence - information for tenants

How do I know if my landlord has a licence for the property I'm renting?

To enquire about your home, please email

How do I report an unlicensed property?

Email or call 020 8726 6103 (answerphone is monitored).

What does landlord licensing mean for me?

As a tenant you will receive better protection from eviction as a Section 21 Notice is invalid if a property is not licensed. You will also be able to complain to the council if your landlord is harassing or intimidating you. Your home will also be inspected to ensure that it meets the necessary Housing, Health and Safety rating so you are confident you have a safe place to live.

How can I make a complaint about a licensed landlord?

If you have queries about licensing, please email

If you have a problem over the conditions of you property please contact the Private Sector Housing Team:

Public telephone: 020 8760 5476 (answerphone is monitored) Mobile: 07808 009 709 Email:          

Both teams are based in this office:

Place Department Public Realm Division Floor 6 zone A Bernard Weatherill House 8 Mint Walk Croydon CR0 1EA

Why are references for tenants required?

Landlords are encouraged to ask tenants for references, this was a condition of the licence. It is really important for landlords to ensure they have responsible tenants who are going to treat their property with care and respect.  It also means that any close tenant neighbours will be more likely to behave properly and have good neighbour relationships with less issues.  It is up to a landlord whether or not they grant a tenancy to a prospective tenant with no reference or a poor reference. 

This is the first time I have rented, what should I do about references?

We accept there are circumstances where it is not possible for prospective tenants to get references from previous landlords as they may be a first time renter or new to the UK. In these situations landlords are recommended to consider character references from banks, colleges, places of work etc.