Information for guests

If I came to the UK on the Ukraine Family Scheme, can I change to the Homes for Ukraine Scheme?

It is currently not possible to switch between schemes after arrival in the UK. However, where the family in the UK cannot offer accommodation, you can apply through the Homes for Ukraine scheme before arriving in the UK if there is another sponsor available.

What should I do if the relationship with my sponsor breaks down?

Please email and we will contact you to discuss options and next steps to address the situation. 

If I am on the Ukraine Family Scheme, where can I find support?

Croydon Refugee Day Centre is a friendly, safe meeting place offering practical assistance to all refugees.

Get support if you are feeling low or struggling with your mental health.

Where can I find information about applying to schools? 

All children and young people of school age in Croydon are entitled to a school place. Information on how to apply for your child’s place is on our school admissions pages.

All children aged three and four are entitled to a free part-time early years place of 15 hours per week at a nursery, pre-school or childminder before they reach school age. For further information on how to register your child and childcare providers, see Family Space Croydon.

How does the healthcare system work?

Everyone in England is eligible to register with a GP and receive primary health care services free of charge, regardless of immigration status. 

When you arrive in Croydon, you should register with the nearest GP practice or the one your sponsor is registered with. You will be asked for proof of address and ID, but you will not be refused registration if you cannot provide these.

The National Health Service (NHS), the UK Health Security Agency and the Mayor of London have produced a helpful leaflet, in Ukrainian and English, which explains how the service works and what rights to healthcare migrants have.

How the NHS works: a guide for migrants (English) (PDF, 581KB)

How the NHS works: a guide for migrants (Ukrainian) (PDF, 470KB)

Once you are registered with a GP, they can help to arrange your first, second and booster dose Covid-19 vaccinations if you have not already had them. Covid-19 vaccinations are not compulsory but we recommend that you have them to protect yourself and others from the virus. More information about the Covid-19 vaccination is available on the NHS website. For walk in-vaccination clinics in your local area visit Walk-in and pop up vaccination clinics - South West London CCG.

Where can I get help improving my English?

CALAT, our adult education provider, are offering courses in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).

These courses are free for people who are settled in the UK, including those arriving under the Homes for Ukraine scheme, to gain English language skills and work towards nationally recognised qualifications.  You can join the classes and make friends in a relaxed and friendly environment, take part in fun activities and improve your English language skills. They will also help you in accessing local services, healthcare, dental and well-being, support families with children at school, and offer a social club with activities such as gardening, music and yoga

To enrol call: 020 8726 6000 ext 65790 or email:

Where can I get support to find work or training?

For help with finding employment and training, contact Croydon Works on 020 8604 7471.