Information about sponsoring

What is the difference between the Ukraine Family Scheme and the Homes for Ukraine Scheme?

Those applying under the Ukraine Family Scheme must be applying to join or accompany a UK-based family member. The Homes for Ukraine scheme is for Ukrainians who have matched with people in the UK willing to sponsor them and provide suitable accommodation for a minimum of six months.

You can find information about how the Homes for Ukraine scheme will work on the government website.

Read this factsheet, which explains how Ukrainians can apply for the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.

Find out more information on being a sponsor on the Government website.

If you live in Croydon and have applied to be a sponsor 

Homes for Ukraine is a government scheme, with local councils responsible for carrying out essential background checks and providing support to sponsors and their guests at a local level.

Croydon Council will be responsible for:

  • accommodation and safeguarding checks
  • support arrangements for guests and their hosts
  • providing education
  • homelessness assistance
  • social care services for children and adults
  • interim payments for guests arriving under the Homes for Ukraine scheme
  • support with finding employment
  • welcoming our guests and helping them to settle into our community

We will arrange and meet the cost of the checks - you will not be asked to pay a fee or make a payment of any kind, as part of becoming a sponsor. Any requests for you to do so will likely be a scam and should be reported. Read more on how to report scams.

If you are a sponsor or guest and would like to contact us, please email

I have registered as a sponsor. When will I hear from the council?

We have been in touch with all sponsors to arrange the first stage. This is a home visit by council officers to confirm that the accommodation is suitable and to help you prepare.

We get details of new sponsors who have registered on GOV.UK and we are contacting new sponsors as soon as we receive updated lists.

How is the council contacting sponsors?

We are contacting all sponsors by email from

All sponsors receive two emails:

  • the first email is from our Chief Executive, Katherine Kerswell, thanking residents for registering to become sponsors as part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme and outlining the next steps
  • the second email is from our Director of Public Health, Rachel Flowers, with information about the home visits along with some forms that need to be completed to progress the home visits.

I can't be a sponsor anymore. How do I de-register?

Please inform the UK Visas and Immigration service (UKVI) by calling the helpline on 0808 164 8810 and email us at so we can update our records. 

Will my council tax discount be affected if I sponsor?

Council tax discounts will not be affected if you sponsor.

Can I charge rent?

Sponsors should not charge rent. You will not be expected to cover the costs of food and living expenses, although you may wish to offer this, especially in the early weeks while guests are finding their feet.

The government is offering an optional ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per month to people who can accommodate one or more household.

The ‘thank you’ payment is limited to one payment per residential address. You will continue to receive payments for as long as you sponsor somebody for up to 12 months. This payment will be made in arrears.

The ‘thank you payments’ do not affect benefit entitlement and will remain tax-free. 

Are those accommodating people via the Family Scheme eligible for the £350 thank you payment?

The ‘thank you’ payments are only available to those sponsoring guests via the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.