London Borough of Croydon

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Please see Coronavirus service updates for the latest information about affected council services

If you're experiencing hardship or difficulties

We have collected together a range of services and schemes that will help you get the support you need during this difficult time.  

Register on GOV.UK for support

If you've been identified as high risk and have received a letter from the NHS you will need to register for support to get essential food deliveries and medical supplies.

Register on GOV.UK or call 0800 0288327

You will then be offered support such as essential food deliveries. 

Contact our dedicated helpline if you're high risk and need urgent support

We have a dedicated helpline for vulnerable residents: Phone: 020 8604 7787 - Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm

Our phone lines are very busy now.  If you are having trouble getting through please complete this form

If you don't currently have your prescriptions collected or delivered

You can arrange this by:

  • asking someone who can pick up your prescription from the local pharmacy
  • contacting your pharmacy to ask them to help you find a volunteer (who will have been ID checked) or deliver it to you. You can check your local pharmacy here
  • arranging for collection or delivery of hospital specialist medication please contact your hospital care team

Help with benefit advice, form filling and benefit appeals 

You can contact the Welfare Rights team:

  • email – email is our preferred method of contact at this time 
  • phone 0800 731 5920 – operating from Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm 

Assessments will be on the phone, rather than face to face or home visits. Referrals can still be made for residents who need help filling out their form.

If your earnings have changed due to COVID-19

If you have a current claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and have seen a change in your earnings due to Covid-19, let us know so we can update your claim.  

If you do not have a current claim for benefits – check how to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support to see what you can claim and how to do it.

If you need help paying your council tax 

We’ve introduced two schemes to help people pay their council tax during this difficult time. For information on how to apply, visit get help with your council tax.

If you need help paying your rent 

If you need help paying your rent, most people will now need to make a claim for Universal Credit for housing costs

Some people can still claim help with their rent by claiming housing benefit:  

  • anyone who is of pension age 
  • anyone living in temporary accommodation they have been placed in by the council 
  • those who live in specified accommodation 

To find out more about if you may be entitled to still claim housing benefit, visit this page on how to claim.  

If your income has changed and you need to make a claim for benefit to help with your living costs you can make a claim for Universal Credit

If you need help with money advice and debts 

You can contact the Money Advice Service. 

The best way to contact us is by email:

You can also call these numbers from Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm:

  • Mark on 07742 405 363 
  • Stephen on 07740 545 236 

Other useful money advice guidance 

You should check with your energy provider what provision they have in place in regards to your energy bill. You can find useful information on how energy firms are helping customers who are unable to top up due to the virus

You can also check: 

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

Discretionary Housing Payments may be available to top up housing-related benefit for a limited time to cover housing costs such as rent.

You may be able to claim a discretionary reduction in council tax. Check if you qualify for DHP.

Food stops

The council runs three food stops with community partners in Fieldway, Selsdon and Thornton Heath.

If you're eligible, you can get £20 worth of fresh food and other groceries for £3.50 per week.

For more information, email

Food vouchers

You may be eligible for food vouchers for Tesco, Sainsbury's Morrison's and Asda. Contact the Discretionary Support Team:

Milk formula deliveries

If you can't get to the shops, these companies sell formula milk for babies online. There may be a charge for delivery:

Paying for gas and electricity

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers to ensure you don’t face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak.

If you think you cannot afford to pay for extra gas or electricity used because you are having to self-isolate at home, support will be available through your energy supplier. Your supplier must take into account how much you can afford, and will explain your options. No credit meters will be disconnected during the outbreak.

Customers with prepayment meters who are self-isolating or unable to leave their home to top up their meter should contact their supplier immediately to discuss options. These may include:

  • someone being sent to top up your prepayment card or token/key
  • having funds added to your meter credit
  • having a preloaded gas or electricity card sent to you in the post

Find out more about the emergency energy package

Emergency living expenses for gas and/or electric by key card

We are able to support residents who pay their gas and electricity via a key card. 

We will need your mobile number, or alternatively a trusted friend, family or neighbour mobile number. Then you can go to your local newsagents who display the pay point sign to top up. 

Financial resources to support vulnerable residents

We are expecting additional financial resources to support vulnerable residents from the government. We will provide further information as soon as it is available.

Helping the homeless

The council’s Gateway service helps residents avoid homelessness and boost their financial independence, with support ranging from one-to-one debt advice and maximising their benefits to skills training.

If you are a resident needing support from Gateway staff, or you are a community organisation wanting to refer a member of the public for help, email – please include a mobile number so an adviser can call you back.

Children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND)

If you are self-isolating or diagnosed with coronavirus and you have concerns about care for your child or young person with SEND while you're unwell, contact the Children With Disabilities duty teams. The phone lines are answered between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

A list of other organisations which may be able to support children and young people with SEND is on the Local Offer website.

If you need help getting a blue badge, taxi cards and Freedom Passes 

We currently have a 12 week processing time for new blue badges applications – please avoid chasing before the 12 week deadline. 

If you need a freedom pass or taxi card paper application, please email the Travel Service and we will post one to you. 

For help with blue badges, taxi cards and freedom passes, contact Travel Service:

  • email – email is our preferred method of contact at this time 
  • phone 020 8726 7100  – Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm 

Jobs and training

If you've recently lost your job or you are looking to upskill or change career, find out about a range of job and training opportunities across the borough