What is a clean & green street champion?
Clean & green street champions are a network of people who have volunteered to improve the environment in their local area. Champions are local people who work alongside Croydon Council and its partners to encourage residents and businesses to recycle more, manage their waste responsibly and reduce instances of environmental crime.
How can a clean & green street champion help?
- by being the link between the local residents and the council
- organise community clean-ups and litter picks
- supporting neighbours to keep their front gardens tidy
- identifying areas that need improvement
- identifying local businesses that need educating on their duty of care to dispose of waste and recycling
- arranging letter drops with information on community clean-ups, recycling and waste management
- attending meetings with local residents and council representatives
How can the clean and green champion coordinator assist?
We can help you with the following advice and support:
- helping you to organise community clean-ups and litter picks
- assist with land searches
- offer advice on health & safety, risk assessments and preventative methods to reduce environmental crimes
- provide equipment and materials for clean-ups
- provide flyers for delivery by champions to promote clean-ups
- remove all waste collected on community clean-ups
- support champions with advice on dealing with untidy front gardens in their neighbourhood
- give advice on recycling and waste disposal to local businesses who are identified by champions
- take images of clean-ups and use to promote future work in your area
- share good news about activities information on social media
- arrange quarterly meetings to discuss future clean-ups and local issues
Organising a clean & green street champion event?
We will support you by:
- undertaking site visits before, during and after the event
- provide advice on health & safety / risk assessments
- take photos before and after event to promote future community clean-up activities
- provide the following equipment and materials:
- litter pickers
- dustpans and brushes
- weeding scraper
- appropriate signage e.g. 'wet paint'
- barrier tape
- paint (specific colours only)
- caged vehicle (where appropriate)
- refuse bags