We need to collect and use certain types of information about people in order to effectively carry out our day to day operations, many of which are statutory requirements.
Personal information must be dealt with properly no matter how it is collected, recorded and used - whether on paper, by electronic systems or via other means.
We fully endorse and adhere to the principles of data protection.
Specifically the principles require that personal information must be:
- Fairly and lawfully processed;
- Held and processed for limited and specifically registered purposes;
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- Kept accurate and up to date;
- Kept for no longer than is necessary;
- Processed in line with data subject's access rights;
- Kept secure against unauthorised access, loss, disclosure or destruction; and
- Made available only to countries with adequate data protection measures.
We will therefore:
- fully observe the conditions regarding the collection and use of information
- meet legal obligations to specify the purposes for which information is used
- collect and process appropriate information only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements
- ensure the quality of information used
- ensure that the length of time information is held is not unreasonable;
- ensure that the rights of people about whom information is held are able to be fully exercised under the Act. (Including the right to be informed that processing is being undertaken, the right of access to your own personal information, the right to prevent processing in certain circumstances and the right to correctly rectify and/or remove information which is regarded as incorrect information)
- take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard personal information
- ensure that personal information is not transferred abroad without suitable safeguards.
How to make a data protection request
If you want to request any information the Council holds about you;
Make data protection request or ask via the ''Apply for it' section on this page.
Data Protection Policy
You can view the Council's Data Protection Policy here.
Data Protection Team
Chief Executive's Department
7th Floor, Zone C
Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA