If you already receive Council Tax Support 

If you’re on a low income or receive benefits, you can apply for Council Tax Support.

If you were getting council tax support on 1 April 2020, a credit of up to £150 will automatically be added to your council tax account. There is no need to do anything else. Your new bill should arrive by the end of May.

If you do not receive Council Tax Support

If you do not receive Council Tax Support, you can still apply for extra help if: 

  • you have been furloughed 
  • your earnings have reduced as you are unable to work 
  • you're self employed and your household income has changed 

If you have deferred your Council Tax payments

You can still apply for the hardship fund if you have deferred your Council Tax payments.

Apply for the fund

To apply for the hardship fund, please complete this application form.

You can apply on behalf of someone else but you must put all their details on the form, including their email address.

Once you’ve completed the form, depending on your answers, you may be asked to apply for Council Tax Support. We will email you a link for this and you will have 5 days to apply. If you don't apply in time, you will need to come back to fill out the form on this page again.

After you apply

It can take up to 28 days to check your application. You can help speed up the process by providing any evidence we ask for as soon as possible.

We will email you to tell you if:

  • you can get Council Tax Support
  • you can get extra help from the Council Tax hardship fund 
  • you cannot get any additional support

Other support

Find out about other help available with Council Tax and benefits.