From April 1, 2022, a single £150 Council Tax rebate will be available to help with the rise of energy costs. Most households living in properties in Council Tax bands A to D can claim this rebate, even if you receive full or partial Council Tax reductions.
How to apply
You do not need to do anything if you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit. For most eligible households, we will pay the rebate into your bank account from April.
If you don't pay by Direct Debit, we will invite you to claim via email, text, or letter, once our online form is open for applications.
To claim you will need:
- your property reference number. This is on your Council Tax bill or found in your online Council Tax account
- your date of birth
- your national insurance number
- your bank sort code and account number
Who is eligible
Before applying, you will need to confirm that you meet the following criteria:
- your property is in Council Tax bands A to D, or your property is in band E and you receive disabled relief on 1 April 2022
- your property is your sole or main residence
- you are making the claim on behalf of your whole household
- you have not made a claim in respect of any other property in England
You will not be able to claim the rebate if:
- your property is in Council Tax band E to H
- your property is empty
- your property is a second home
- your property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) where the owner is liable
- you moved into the property after 1 April 2022
You may still be able to claim a discretionary payment, even if you are not eligible to claim through the rebate scheme. Details will be published here shortly.
We carry out pre-payment checks to ensure we are paying the rebate to the correct person. We will contact you if we are unable to match the bank details with the Council Tax payer and tell you how to make the claim.
For households where multiple residents are liable, the payment will be made to the bank account held for the household. We will update this page once payments are released.
How you will receive the rebate
If you don't pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, the person who is liable for paying can apply for the rebate. We will be contacting people once Direct Debit payments have been processed. We expect to start this in May.
You can still set up Direct Debit now, but you might not receive the rebate in our first round of payments.
If you don't have a bank account, we can credit the rebate to your Council Tax account.
Eligible households should make claims as soon as possible. The scheme is open until 30 September 2022, but rebates may be automatically credited to Council Tax accounts if the rebate is not promptly claimed.
We have had reports that thieves are contacting people by phone, claiming they need their bank details to access the new rebate payment. We will never telephone a resident unannounced to ask them for their bank details.
For information on identifying and reporting scams, you can visit the following websites:
Visit the government's website for more information about support for energy bills and the cost of living.