Test and Trace Support Payments

If you or a child you are responsible for have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, you may be entitled to a one-off £500 support payment if you can't work from home and will lose income.

This payment is subject to income tax, although you won't be expected to file a tax return for it. It won't affect your National Insurance contributions or any benefits you already receive.

Who is eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment?

The funding is available to people who are on low income and have been told to self-isolate within the last 42 days.

To be eligible for a payment you must:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • not be furloughed

You or your partner must also be currently receiving at least one of the following:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit

We will make the necessary checks to confirm your eligibility. This may include further checks after payment has been made, such as contacting your employer.

Discretionary payments

You can apply for a discretionary payment if you have an ongoing benefits appeal or you applied for a qualifying benefit before you were told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, and you meet all the other criteria.

You may also be eligible if, in the 2 months before your self-isolation date, your income was less than £250 per week.

How to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment

You can apply for a support payment online. If you're on a laptop, we recommend using the Chrome web browser.

Start now

What you will need to apply

  • Your 8-character NHS Test and Trace ID you received when told to self-isolate or written notification from a school or childcare setting
  • Your National Insurance number
  • A copy of the bank statement(s) from the last 2 months for the bank account you would like the grant paid into (the account must be in the applicant’s name)
  • If you are self-employed, proof of self-employment such as your latest business bank statement (issued within the last two months), latest set of accounts, or evidence of self-assessment returns

Can I help someone else apply, or apply on their behalf?

This application is for one person only and any further applications within the same household must be made by each individual.

If you are completing this application because your child has been asked to self-isolate, only one parent/carer can make a claim per isolation period, and your child should remain in one household. Your child's self-isolation start date must be no earlier than 8 March 2021 and within the last 42 days, whichever is the more recent.

You can help someone else but, if successful, the money must be paid into their bank account.

How to keep the payment in your account for essentials

If you are currently in your overdraft or have bills to pay, you may be worried that the Test and Trace payment will automatically be used to pay for those. You can tell your bank that you need to keep the payment for food and essentials - this is called your first right of appropriation.

To do this, write to your bank and let them know that the deposit due to be made from Croydon Council is to be used to cover essential bills or for house keeping costs such as food.

Applying more than once

You can apply more than once, as long as it's for separate periods of isolation and you meet the criteria each time you apply.