If you're affected by coronavirus, you can declare a change of earnings.

Start now

Financial help

With so many people’s financial circumstances affected by coronavirus, we want to do all we can to help. 

Get support if you're on a low income or claim benefits 

You can calculate what you could be entitled to and apply for council tax support through our online form.   

If you have any questions, you can contact our team by:  

Test and Trace Support Payments

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate for 14 days, you may be entitled to a one-off £500 support payment if you can't work from home and will lose income.

If your earnings have changed due to COVID-19 

If you have a current claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and have seen a change in your earnings due to Covid-19, let us know so we can update your claim

If you do not have a current claim for benefits – check how to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support to see what you can claim and how to do it. 

Help with council tax 

If you were getting council tax support on 1 April 2020 or you make a claim for council tax support before 31 May 2020 that is successful, a credit of up to £150 will automatically be put on your council tax account to reduce the amount you have to pay. Find out how to apply for Council Tax support.

your rent  

If you need help paying your rent, most people will now need to make a claim for Universal Credit for housing costs.  

Some people can still claim help with their rent by claiming housing benefit:   

  • anyone who is of pension age  

  • anyone living in temporary accommodation they have been placed in by the council  

  • those who live in specified accommodation  

To find out more about if you may be entitled to still claim housing benefit, visit this page on how to claim.   

If your income has changed and you need to make a claim for benefit to help with your living costs you can make a claim for Universal Credit.  

Paying for gas and electricity

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers to ensure you don’t face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak.

Emergency living expenses for gas and/or electric by key card

We are able to support residents who pay their gas and electricity via a key card. 

We will need your mobile number, or alternatively a trusted friend, family or neighbour mobile number. Then you can go to your local newsagents who display the pay point sign to top up.

If you need help with money advice and debts  

You can contact the Money Advice Service.  

The best way to contact us is by email: moneyadviceservice@croydon.gov.uk

You can also call these numbers from Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm: 

  • Mark on 07742 405 363  

  • Stephen on 07740 545 236