Our neighbourhood safety officers (NSOs) work closely with the police safer neighbourhood teams, internal teams and departments and other partner agencies to support community safety.
They are based in 3 areas:
The NSOs enforce national legislation in line with local and statutory legislation to deal with anti-social behaviour and environmental offences. They can:
- request name and address of a person for a fixed penalty notice (FPN) and offences that cause injury, alarm and distress to another person or damage or loss of another's property
- request name and address of a person acting in an anti-social manner
- confiscate alcohol from any person under the age of 18 years
- confiscate alcohol from any person in a designated public place
- confiscate cigarettes and tobacco products from any person under the age of 16 years
NSOs investigate incidents of:
- anti-social behaviour
- environmental crime (which includes):
They also act as professional witnesses, gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses and perpetrators and taking statements that can be used as evidence in the courts. In addition they undertake a raft of prevention, intervention and diversion activities eg referring a young person for acceptable behaviour agreements (ABAs).