Croydon Register Office holds records relating to births, deaths and marriages that occurred in Croydon dating from 1837 to the present day.
Croydon now offers an express certificate service. These applications must be made in person. The express service is not available for certificates that have been ordered on-line.
- Same Day service - £25 plus £10 certificate fee payable by credit/debit card only
- Next day Service - £15 plus £10 certificate fee payable by credit/debit card only
Copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates can be ordered online. Search for "certificate" under "Registrars".
What you need to order a certificate
Birth certificate copy
- full name at birth
- date of birth
- place of birth (hospital/home address)
- mother's full name (including maiden name if possible)
- father's full name (if possible).
Death certificate copy
- full name of deceased
- date of death
- name and address of place of death
- maiden surname (if applicable)
Marriage* and civil partnership certificate copy
- venue of the marriage/civil partnership
- date of marriage/civil partnership
- full names of both parties (for the woman, her surname before marriage/civil partnership)
*For church marriages, certificate copies are only available from the Register Office once the church has passed their marriage register to us. Therefore, to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate you may need to contact the relevant church. Please contact the Register Office for further advice.
Personal / postal application
A copy certificate can be obtained from the Register Office either by personal application or by post. The fee is £10 for each certificate.
If paying by cheque or postal order, payment should be made payable to Croydon Council. PLEASE NOTE we cannot accept cash payments.
If applying by post please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope and your phone number. If applying from outside the British Isles you will need to send an international money order drawn on a UK bank in pounds sterling.
Croydon Register Office
Ground Floor Offices
Croydon Town Hall
Monday - Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm (Closed on the first Thursday of every month for training (mornings only))