Jubilee / Big Lunch event

Applications for Big Lunch road closure events are now closed.

Consideration should be taken if the event is open to the public, if you plan to sell alcohol or food, intend to provide catering from an outside source, then you may also need to 

  • apply for relevant licences 
  • ensure you and anyone providing a service to the event, have public liability insurance, and 
  • that any equipment is safe for use e.g. PAT tested or inspected by a Gas Safe engineer”
  • If the event is open to vulnerable people i.e. elderly residents and children, you may need to have in place safeguarding policy. 

Please note that traffic diversions for bus routes will not be put in place over the four days. If your road is used as bus route a road closure will not be granted. In addition there will be no parking suspensions put in place. Remember if the road is not suitable you are able to apply to hold a party in other parks and open spaces, please consider this and safety of those attending when planning your event.

For the answers to frequently asked questions, or a list of available green spaces, see The Big Lunch - Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 488KB)

In this document you will find out how to:

  • safely stage events
  • arrange road closures
  • arrange the use of land around your estate
  • organise Big Lunches in parks and open spaces.

Help with funding an event

If you are a local authority resident and are considering holding an event on or near one of the council’s housing estates and your group need some help with funding the event (except licenses and insurance), you can apply for further information and advice from

The Community Development Team

Zone 3B, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon CR0 1EA  Email:     yvonne.anderson@croydon.gov.uk Tel:     020 8726 6100 ext.61567 / 07587 657 544

Stay in touch

Follow the Big Lunch team on twitter or on Facebook. General enquiries Email: parties@croydon.gov.uk

Big Lunch Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 448KB)