You must get consent from the young person (if they are over 16 years of age) or their family before you submit a referral to the Single Point of Contact (SPOC) team. The only exception to this is when there is an immediate risk of significant harm.

When making a referral, you will need to ensure that children, young people, and the parents are aware that the Single Point of Contact (SPOC) is multi-agency and that all contacts are screened by social workers –this includes Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health requests.

Consent for Emotional Wellbeing & Mental Health Services referrals

If it is appropriate, referrals may be forwarded to:

  • partners services in the non-statutory sector
  • Croydon Early Help partnerships
  • other agencies

Completing the consent notice 

The consent notice explains how the young person's data will be shared with any service within the Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Services.

The referrer will need to tick the service they agree to their data being shared with.

You will need to attach the consent notice with your online referral form.

Download the EWMH consent notice (PDF, 135KB)

Consent for Early Help Family Solutions referrals

You will need to advise parents that they agree to their information being shared with agencies in the Croydon Partnership so that the best offer of support can be sought.

Completing the consent notice 

By getting the family or young person's consent, they will be consenting to getting support from partners in our network who may be best placed to meet your needs.

The information collected will help us understand what help you may need.

Download the Early Help consent notice (PDF, 17.7KB)

If the child or young person is suffering or at risk of significant harm

You have a legal responsibility to inform Children’s Social Care. In most cases, you should talk to the family or young person first before you make a referral.

If the family refuses to give consent

If the family or young person refuses, you can still refer them to some of the self-referral services.

In some cases, it may be necessary to direct the child or young person to a different service which best meets their needs. For example; NHS mental health services, voluntary sector counselling, early help and other signposting services.

If you are unable to contact the family 

If you are worried about a child and you are unable to contact the parents, this should not stop you from making a referral. 

You can discuss your concerns in the first instance with your organisation's designated safeguarding lead and if needed the CSC Front Door Single Point of Contact (SPOC) for a consultation with a Social Worker.

SPOC consultation line
Phone: 020 876 6464
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm