London Borough of Croydon

Licence summary

A licence is required if you wish to place a builder's skip on any part of the highway.

Only skip supply companies can apply for a licence and they are responsible for ensuring that all appropriate regulations are followed.

Please note: The responsibility for obtaining a licence rests solely with the skip supply company. The householder or the building contractor is not responsible for obtaining the permit.

The licence costs £36 per skip and is valid for two weeks, after which it must be renewed if a skip is still on the highway. Two clear working days must be allowed for an application for a skip licence renewal to be processed.

Please note there is a surcharge of 1.65% if you pay by credit card.  There is no surcharge for debit cards.

Under the Highways Act we can prosecute anyone who fails to obtain a licence before placing a skip on a highway. The Act also allows the council (the highway authority) to make the issue of a skip licence subject to conditions, including in particular, conditions relating to:

  • the siting of the skip
  • its dimensions
  • the manner in which it is to be coated with visible paint and other material for the purpose of making it immediately visible to oncoming traffic
  • the care and disposal of its contents
  • the manner in which it is to be lighted
  • its removal at the end of the licensed period.

Legislation summary

Highways Act 1980.

General guidelines

For guidance on obtaining a skip please download the 'skip general guidelines' document below.

Application evaluation process

For information on the evaluation process, please download the 'skip application process' document below.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 14 days (from the receipt of all requested documentation).

Apply online

To apply for a new permit or to extend or renew an existing permit, please click on the relevant link at the end of the terms and conditions page.

Failed application redress

Please contact the skips permit team on the details below.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter, with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Please contact the skips permit team on the details below.

Trade associations


Skip Licensing Section

Parking Services
020 8726 7100
Address Line:

Skip Licensing Section

Parking Services

PO Box 1462

Croydon CR9 1WX


Help downloading files