London Borough of Croydon

We are responsible for supporting customers who previously received crisis loans and community care grants from the Department of Work and Pensions. This assistance is known as Croydon discretionary support (CDS). All applications will be considered on an individual basis.

Please be aware we will usually only make one award every 12 months. The award is normally issued in the form or a gift card/voucher. We do not issue cash payments. 

If CDS is awarded we will work with customers and develop an action plan to move towards their affordable long term solution.

You could be eligible for a budgeting loan from the job Centre if you have been receiving the following benefits for a continuous period of 26 weeks or more;

  • Job seekers allowance income based
  • employment and support allowance income based
  • Income support
  • Pension credit

If you have been on one of the above benefits for 26 weeks or more you will need to apply for this before an application for CDS can be considered.

If you already have a budgeting loan/advance, we would advise that you do not submit an application for another. Please ensure you supply evidence of your budgeting loan/ advance when applying for CDS.

To apply for a budgeting loan click here:

If you're getting Universal Credit, you may be eligible to get a loan to cover an expense that comes up, such as:

  • a one-off item, eg replacing a broken fridge or getting a piece of furniture
  • unexpected expenses, eg a bill that’s higher than usual
  • expenses for starting a new job or keeping a job, eg uniforms, tools, etc
  • repairs to your home, maintenance or security
  • travelling expenses
  • maternity expenses
  • funeral expenses
  • moving costs or rent deposit
  • clothes

The loan is called a 'budgeting advance' - you'll have to pay it back by getting lower Universal Credit payments until it’s paid off. You’ll be told how much your payments will be reduced by.

If you've applied for Universal Credit but haven't had a payment yet, you might be able to get an advance payment instead of a budgeting advance.

The CDS fund is used to provide support to those customers who require help with the following:

  • Essential goods items including carpets and storage (please see eligibility below)
  • Emergency living expenses which includes fuel (gas and electric for customers who pay via a key meter), travel expenses (only on Oyster cards), food bank referrals and clothing in exceptional circumstances
  • Deposit/rent in advance (customers not in receipt of housing benefit)
  • Removals.

If you are applying for essential goods, the following is required:

  • Type of cooker required (gas or electric)
  • To qualify for carpets you will need to have a dependent under the age of two living in the property or a member of the household in receipt of disability living allowance mobility high rate or personal independents payments mobility enhanced rate. When obtaining a quote the cost of carpet must not exceed £6 per sq meter and can only cover the living room and dependant's room or the disability benefits recipients bedroom
  • For storage costs the maximum assistance is two months on the grounds you will be able to afford payments yourself thereafter.

To be considered for an award, applicants will generally have to demonstrate the following:

  • You must have lived in Croydon for at least three months or are moving into Croydon from certain institutions
  • You are over 16 years of age
  • You are in receipt of, or are about to receive, one of the following:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseekers Allowance
    • Employment and Support Allowance
    • Any disability benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Council Tax Support
    • Pension Credit

Before you submit your application please make sure you provide the following evidence to support your claim and avoid delay.

Emergency living expenses

Household items / removal cost / storage cost

Rent in advance and/or deposit

Budget planner

Budget planner

Budget planner




Mini statement

Three months bank statements

Three months bank statements


Tenancy agreement

Landlord's contact details


Proof of income (wages or entitlement letter)

Full address of new property including postcode



Proof of income (wages or entitlement letter)

Register for a CDS here: