London Borough of Croydon

Having a break from your caring role is important for your wellbeing and quality of life. It can help you recharge your batteries and continue in your caring role for as long as you wish to.

If you need a break, you can arrange respite (replacement care for the person you care for) privately, through friends and family or via the council.

Who can get respite?

Anyone looking after a friend, family member or neighbour who needs their help due to illness, disability or old age may be eligible for respite.

Respite in the voluntary sector

From 1 August 2018 The Whitgift Foundation will be allocating up to 75 hours of one-off free respite for carers of adults in Croydon. To be eligible, carers must work or live in Croydon and the person they care for must not be in receipt of any social care services from Croydon Council. Once the hours have been allocated, you can choose the respite provider of your choice.

You can access this by contacting the Carers Support Centre on George Street:

Croydon Neighbourhood Care (020 8662 1000) local neighbourhood care groups provide support for older and disabled people in Croydon. Some local groups offer a sitting service, so contact Croydon Neighbourhood Care to see if this is available locally. You can find a list of groups on their website.

Horizon Care offers a home care respite service with a particular focus on carers of people from a black or ethnic minority background (BME). Contact on 020 8665 0921.

Respite via Croydon Council

Council-funded respite can be provided in the home, at a day centres for older people or at an adult day care resource centre. For information on respite for carers of a child with special educational needs or disabilities, contact the 0-25 SEND Team (020 8726 6400).

Paying for respite

We do have a charging policy for home care and residential care services. The person you care for will be financially assessed for their ability to pay for respite services. How much they will pay will depend on their benefits, savings and/or income.

Requesting respite from Croydon Council

You can request respite via a Needs Assessment under the Care Act 2014 of the person you care for. You can also get your own needs assessed as a carer via a Carer’s Assessment. Contact Help for Carers Croydon on 020 8663 5664 or email to request a Carer’s Assessment.

Arranging respite privately

You can also access respite care privately through a home care provider. The Care Quality Commission has a searchable database of care providers and their inspection reports.