Reimagining Croydon’s subways
Do you have a creative idea for how Croydon’s subways could be transformed?
Starting 20 November the public is invited to submit ideas for how the 6 subways in our town centre could be put to better use. The competition is open to anyone with a great idea and a love for Croydon.
Judging will be split into 3 categories:
- under 18s
Be as creative as you would like, while keeping in mind the following:
- how would the maintenance costs for the space be covered?
- is your idea a temporary or more permanent suggestion? We’ll consider both, but please tell let us know if you see it being short or long term
- your proposal might be specific to one subway or could be rolled out to all
- ideas should be in line with our Local Plan objectives, which can be found in the project brief
Once received, ideas will be reviewed to see if they are viable. We will then work with the winning and/or shortlisted individuals or groups to see if we can bring these ideas to life.
Prizes will be awarded in each category. Winning entrants will receive a £500 prize, and under 18s will win a £500 prize for a charity of their choice, their school or a community group fund. There will also be £100 runner up prizes. Terms and conditions apply. Read carefully before submitting your idea.
Winning submissions will be featured as part of a special exhibition to take place after the contest ends.
The subways are located at:
- Minster: near Croydon Minster, Church Street, Croydon CR0 1RN
- Old Town Roundabout: near Croydon Fire Station, 90 Old Town, Croydon CR0 1AR
- Park Lane Gyratory: near Fairfield Halls, Park Lane, London CR9 1DG
- Addiscombe Road: near No. 1 Croydon, 12–16 Addiscombe Road, Croydon CR0 6SD
- Lansdowne Road: near Jurys Inn Croydon, Wellesley Road, Croydon CR0 9XY
- Segas House: near Nestlé Tower, 61 Park Lane, Croydon CR0 1YL
- a maximum of two A1 or eight A4 pages of images and text; other formats (video, model, etc...) are welcomed; electronic or hard copy submissions will both be accepted
- at least 1 image or visual (sent as a separate file) to be copyright free so it can be published online or in our Your Croydon magazine or architectural press
Send your submission either electronically to email@example.com with ‘Subway competition’ as the subject of your email, or by post if in a hard copy format to:
Growth Zone team
Bernard Weatherill House
6th Floor, Zone D
8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
20 November, 2019 – submissions accepted
10 January, 2020 – submission deadline at 4pm
24 January, 2020 – shortlisted contestants notified
31 January, 2020 – shortlisted contestant’s ideas offered to the public for feedback online
16 February, 2020 – public comment period closes at 4pm
27 February, 2020 – winner announced
Croydon town centre has a number of pedestrian subways, a legacy of the radical redevelopment of Croydon in the 1960s that focused on vehicle travel. New crossings are now replacing these unfriendly spaces, making them redundant. This provides the opportunity to find new ways to put them to better use.
This movement is taking place all over London. For example, in Clapham an old public lavatory has been renovated into a wine bar, and a tunnel in Waterloo has been transformed into a theatre.
Once received, ideas will be reviewed to see if they are viable.
The public will have the opportunity to provide feedback on shortlisted ideas, which will be chosen by a panel of experts. The public feedback will help inform the judging panel, who will ultimately choose the winner.
We will then work with the winning and /or shortlisted individuals or groups to see if we can bring these ideas to life.
For competition enquiries contact the Growth Zone team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reimagining Subways project brief [4.8MB]
- Reimagining Subways competition terms and conditions [128.3KB]