Review your budget
A budget is something that most people would benefit from. Check the Money Advice Service website for help with making a budget.
Support to find work
- More jobs often become available before Christmas, don’t wait for the new year. Look online and in local newspapers for upcoming vacancies.
- Jobcentre Plus , Groundwork and the council can offer help in finding work.
Improve your skills
- Change your life in 2014 – think about getting a new job; now is the perfect time to sign up for training. See what’s on offer at CALAT
- Some training is free if you are on benefits, and help is available with childcare and transport in many cases.
- If you are looking for career-specific training, it may be worth checking the Skills and Development Agency website or contacting them on 020 8603 7221 for further details.
Struggling to keep your home
- Many people think about making big changes in the new year, but a good decision prior to Christmas could leave you with more money over the holiday period.
- For those struggling to meet high rent and council tax costs, a move to a more affordable property could be a very sensible choice.
- Help is available with finding a new home, including, in certain circumstances, financial support with moving and setting up home.
- Council or housing association tenants can sign up to HomeSwapper to view their options.
Homelessness does not stop at Christmas
If you, or someone you know, is going to be homeless at this time, contact:
- Croydon Reach: 0870 383 3333
- Porchlight 24-hour helpline: 0800 567 7699
- Homeless link: www.homeless.org.uk
- Shelter: 0808 800 4444
- Crisis at Christmas: www.crisis.org.uk
- Runaway Helpline (for 17-year-olds or under): Call or text 116 000
Get help if your relationship is in trouble
- The strain of having to “have a great time” and “spend lots of money” can make Christmas a difficult time for couples. If your relationship is in trouble, get help from Relate, on 020 8680 9551, or another trusted source.
- Remember, family breakdown is a major cause of stress and money problems.